Nothing ever remains the same in my life. It is always in a state of fluidity..which is an oxymoron if I ever heard one. Anyway, I am making a few changes in the workshop while working on several projects at the same time. Fluidity! Remember that!
I decided some weeks ago to possibly rent out my house next year…or at least a room…so I could have someone here in the house while I made some other arrangements in my life. I will maintain my studio and am in the process of converting it into a temporary apartment for me when I come to check on the house or do maintenance, or just to make some art in the studio when I get tired of rambling around.
The back corner has become my painting corner so I guess I’ll just leave it that way, but am moving my large wooden desk from my house, into the corner to serve as my paint table, instead of the fold-up table I now use. This gets the big desk out of the house and turns it into a useful addition to my studio. The computer, printer and scanner that was on the desk will just have to find a new home…like me.
One of my current projects is moving along, albeit at a snail’s pace…a very slow moving snail I might add. That project is the 4 color serigraph (silkscreen) print that I am re-doing from 40 years ago; “The Flaming Ford”. Before I made it a small 9×12 size print and only made a few. But this time I am using all new materials and equipment as I delve back into the silkscreen printing process. The new version is about 10 x 14 inches on Rives BFK paper with a nice wide white margin. I have the screens made and am currently mixing the four colors. I will soon be printing the first color on 20 pieces of paper for the edition of 20 prints this time. I have some older paper that I will cut down and do a couple of proofs on that before I start the edition on the new paper.
While waiting for a shipment of paper from Blick art supply to arrive, I have begun tying up a couple of loose ends hanging around the studio. In all fairness, this place has always been and will always be, in a fluid state, constantly evolving into something different…and better. There are at least two spaces on the front wall in need of more built-in shelving. That’s one thing I’ve been doing today. Building one of those remaining shelves that will slide into the wall space to make use of that 12 inches of gap between the stud walls and the insulation of the metal building.
I’m sure, if I studied it for a few more months I could identify other such spaces where I could add sunken shelves, but for now, those 2 on the front wall are all I need to get done.
I keep saying to myself that I will drive over to Daphne and visit Home Depot or Lowes so I can but that darn bathroom door! And I really need to do that. I had tentative plans to do that today, but got sidetracked with that shelf project. The doorway has been covered with a makeshift towel hanging there to give a semblance of privacy when I take a shower in there, and since there is never anyone else around, the building locked doors suffice to give me actual privacy. But a door there would be nice. Another reason for having a door there is to create a totally dark space for doing light sensitive processes in the silk screen and cyanotype works.
The final loose end will take a while longer, and has been a loose end for quite some time, but it still is classified as a loose end because I planned to do it a few years ago and still want to do it because I think it will be a really nice painting. Its the large painting of a child wearing a hat, done in the same style as the self portrait I did some years ago. I at least have moved it onto the easel and take a good look at it several times a week trying to get up the courage to dig in and start painting. One day I will.
I added a new completed bird painting to the oil painting gallery today. It’s been in the works for a while, but now its done. The Great Tit painting. If you get a chance check out the whole gallery. The plan is to do 2 more of these birds for a set of 4. Right now I have begun a new portrait for a commission. That one is taking a bit more perseverance but it is well on its way. No pics of it yet as it is not at a point that is presentable yet.
Another project that I am beginning is my idea of painting on masonite panels using unfolded store product packaging, like crackers and cereal, as reference. I have saved numerous sizes and shapes of those boxes for the last 5 years with this idea in mind. We’ll see how it goes. These will be done using several mediums; oil paint, silkscreen and possibly pencil as well…color pencil. Below is the first panel I’ve built for one of those pieces. It is taken from the unfolded cereal box beside it there. Lloyd says I am eccentric. This might just validate that theory.
By stuff I mean new brushes. I got me a few new small brushes. These little babies are not cheap either. I had to go out of my social isolation mode and venture over to the Hobby Lobby in Daphne to pick up a can of spray mount. I noticed a sign that said, “all brushes 1/2 price”, and I had to get a few. As you can see in the background I need them for a current project.
This project, along with coronavirus anxiety, is jamming up my mojo somewhat. I am NOT having fun with it…but I AM working on it from time to time and buying new supplies helps to reinvigorate my excitement for painting these days. If the new brushes don’t get me far enough along, I may have to go get a new big tube of white paint. I can always use a big tube of white paint, even though it costs about $37 and 3 rolls of toilet paper. That’s pricey!